October 10, 2009

The Gerry Martin Project.What we Are.

I have, for the longest time, been in awe of the natural world. From tiny ant hunting parties to the magnificent slopes of the Himalayas with all the life that they support, everything has captivated me. I have also had the good fortune of growing up surrounded by these wonders.


Unfortunately, the time taken growing up has also revealed drastic change. I miss the wildlife that used to live around my home. I miss the predictability of the weather and the pleasant climate we had around Bangalore. I miss the lake that used to attract a myriad of wading birds next door. I spent a long time enjoying what’s left- trekking, camping out and working with the animals that I have always been engrossed in.


I now want to make things better. I believe that we can do a lot more than conserve what’s left. Through well-structured practices, policies and models, we can bring back a lot of what was. These models need to be feasible and worthwhile for those involved. The Gerry Martin Project is doing just this.


TGMP sees value in conservation and is creating avenues by which conservation efforts can continue to function from a platform of value and strength as opposed to an approach of submissive pleas for support. Saving this planet is NOT charity or a cause or anything noble. It is simply what needs to be done to keep ourselves alive. Like eating or breathing!


TGMP is starting small. Creating a platform. It will become a movement though. Join the process in any way you can. Come to the table with whatever you have to offer. Write in if you have ideas, networks or anything that might help. But do something. Let’s not just ‘go with the flow’ anymore.


In the words of Bono from U2, let’s betray our age. No more resignation and tolerance. Let’s be honest with ourselves and …CHANGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment